I am currently pursuing a Chemical Engineering PhD in Prof. Altman’s Lab at Yale University. My major research projects involve thin film deposition(MBE) and characterizations(LEED, RHEED, XPS, UPS, etc.) for semiconducting and catalysis applications. Born in Tianjin, China, I began to live in New Haven 4 years ago and I am very happy to work here with my awesome colleagues.
Besides research, I am taking courses from School of Management and being member of multiple student organizations. I also play guitar, squash and do some photo shooting in my leisure time.
- Experimental: UHV, MBE, RHEED/LEED, XPS/AES/UPS, ISS, TPD, SEM/EDS, AFM, TEM/STEM/EELS, XRD/XRR
- Fabricated and characterized epitaxial thin films on polar surfaces
- Investigated the stability of polar surfaces and charge compensation mechanisms
- Studied the reactivity of thin films as a function of substrate polarization
- Publication, The Modification of Ferroelectric LiNbO3 (0001) Surfaces Using Chromium Oxide Thin Films, M. Herdich, X. Zhu, D. Morales-Acosta F. J. Walker and E. I. Altman, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2015, 17, 9488 - 9498
- Publication, The Growth of Non-Polar Thin Films on a Polar Substrate: Cr2O3 on ZnO (0001) and ZnO (000-1), X. Zhu, D. Morales-Acosta, R. Li, F. J. Walker and E. I. Altman, In preparation
- Poster, Cr2O3 Nano-films Grown on ZnO (0001) and ZnO (000-1) Polar Substrates, Gordon Research Conference (GRC) and Gordon Research Seminar (GRS): Chemical Reactions at Surfaces, X. Zhu, D. Morales-Acosta and E. I. Altman, Ventura, CA Feb. 2015
- Presentation, The Growth of Catalytic Thin Films on a Polar Substrate: Cr2O3 on ZnO (0001) and ZnO (000-1), X. Zhu and E. I. Altman, American Vacuum Society (AVS), Baltimore, MD Nov. 2014
- Growth, Structure, and Properties of 2D SiO2 Polymorphs, E.I. Altman, J. Götzen, X. Zhu, A. Sonnenfeld, U.D. Schwarz, American Vacuum Society (AVS), Baltimore, MD Nov. 2014
- Poster, The Growth of Catalytic Thin Films on a Polar Substrate: Cr2O3 on ZnO(0001) and ZnO(000-1), X. Zhu and E. I. Altman, New England Catalysis Society Spring Symposium, Worcester, MA Mar. 2014
- Presentation, The Growth of Chromium Oxide Thin Films on a Polar Zinc Oxide Substrate, X. Zhu and E. I. Altman, Langer Symposium, Yale University, CT